Tips and Best Practices
It’s good practice to reboot your device before deploying to the field. This will clear out memory issues before they become a problem, especially if you plan on taking pictures with the app.
If you know you will be going to a remote area with poor internet connectivity (i.e., 2 bars or less), it’s best to run the app in offline mode. To do this:
- Tap on the “Sync Offline Data” menu while still in the office or area with good internet connectivity.
- Then flip your device to airplane mode and use the app as needed, filling out forms and submitting them.
- When back in the office or area with good connectivity, turn off airplane mode. The system will prompt you to sync your submitted forms.
- When you submit forms, please don’t turn off your device while the “please wait” alert is displayed. Doing so increases the chances of data loss during synchronization.
Download the app
You can download our mobile app from either the iOS app store or the Google Play (Android) store. Make sure to search for “XForms Mobile”, and that the app icon looks like the ones below.
Login to the app
View form details
Start a new form
To start a new form:
- Click the plus sign within the circle in the lower right corner.
- Select the form you would like to create from the options. If you have a large number of forms to choose from, there is a type-ahead search bar to assist. If this is your first time using the app, you may be prompted to allow XForms to use your location.
Filling out a form
This process will vary significantly depending on the form and its options.
- It is important to make sure you fill out all required fields. Required fields have red labels preceding them. If you forget to fill out a required field, you will be redirected back to that field when you attempt to save.
- Some form fields may be auto-populated (user, date, geolocation coordinates, etc.)
- Form sections can be collapsible by clicking on the heading for easier navigation.
- If you would like to save your form without submitting it, you can click Save and then select Save Draft. You do not need to fill out all the required fields to save a draft.
Types of form fields
This field type will offer you a variety of controlled options that were already pre-populated into the form.
This field type is a freeform text field.
This field type allows you to enter numbers only and includes up/down arrows to scroll through available number options. You will be unable to enter any text in these fields.
Some fields will be auto-populated based on who is filling out the form, where, and when (such as user, geolocation, and date).
Fill out a table by tapping on a row. This will present you with all of the options available to be filled out. You can clone an existing row if needed. When finished, click Save to save your changes, and they will now appear in the table.
To add an image to your form, you can either take a picture or select an existing image from your device’s image gallery. You will need to grant the XForms app permission to access your camera and/or photo library in order to do so.
You can also use drawing tools to mark up the picture if needed. Click on the photo to access the drawing tools.
When you have finished filling out your form, click on the Save button in the bottom right corner. This will give you the option to Submit your completed form, Save a Draft of your form, or cancel the form entirely.
Click/tap the button below.